Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Hills Like White Elephants

This story was very short and interesting.  I enjoyed reading it and trying to interpret what the man and woman were referring to as the "operation."  In class we came to the conclusion that the opereation was actually an abortion the woman was plannning to have.  In the story, the man and woman sit at a train station and drank alcohol the whole time.  They also discuss the "operation." On one side of the train station  the land is dry and plain with hills, while on the other side the land is green with trees and mountains.  We discussed in class that the two different sides represent life and death.  We also discussed  that the man is older than the woman considering that is the story he refers to her as a "girl." This could be the reason they want to go through with an abortion. Overall, the story was very interesting to read.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what the epilogue would have been for this story. My conclusion was that they went on to have the operation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I felt as if the guy was much older than her. It was obvious she would do anything for him and he enjoyed being able to control her. I enjoyed this story reading this story as well. However I did feel bad for the girl because I don't think she wanted the operation she was just going to do it for him.

    ReplyDelete